Sunday, March 23, 2014

A Final Goodbye

            1994….a year that was etched in my life.  After being in the family for more than 60 years, the family farm was sold and possession was turned over to its new owner.  Lots of thoughts and feelings attached to the event.  The house was very large.  Rumor has it that it was built specifically for the purpose of accommodating visiting pastors and missionaries of the church nearby.  Whether or not the intention was fulfilled in its early days more than 112 years ago, I do not know, but for at least 60 years it has fulfilled its obligation.  As I happened to be the last family member to shut and lock its doors, I took one last stroll through this house where I had been raised.  Surveying each room, it was possible for me to remember significant events that had occurred in each.  Each room had a different décor, each room had different characteristics.  Some enjoyed more sunlight than others because of the proximity of the large trees outside and orientation to east and west.  Some were large and some were very small.  My steps echoed behind me in this place that seemed so strange to see empty.  It had served our family’s needs well and would soon begin its opportunity to serve another family.  You cannot live in a place for such a long time and resist the memories that beg to be relived in one’s mind.  There are memories of the everyday events, the family meals, the chores that needed to be done, the homework that was to be completed or ignored, the toys strewn around the living room, Sunday evening “Bonanza” with popcorn and root beer, Mom running the vacuum cleaner at 10 P.M. while waiting for Dad to arrive home from work, slides down the neat cherry banister while Dad wasn’t looking, rushing around to get ready for the school bus, the ringing of the church bell next door, the big gatherings on Christmas and Thanksgiving and more—so much more.  In itself, the house had been a museum.  Collections of several generations could be found there, each item having a story of its own.  My final tour completed, I said “goodbye” one more time, as I had countless times before over the years, kind of pausing to once again let memory cause me to hear goodbye as I had heard it hundreds of times before.  This time, however, there was no reply, just the echo of my words through the empty rooms and hallways and the final click of the closing door.  Turning toward the bright sunlight of the outdoors, I realized that it was now my turn to make sure that my family would have the fond memories that I knew were possible from loving and fun relationships, gatherings and events.  I realized it was now my responsibility to see to it that my family discovers how memories are not bought with expensive and decorative furnishings but rather with time, love and a relationship with God.  The house, and any house is really just a meaningless box without these essential ingredients and the echo deafening.  “In the house of the righteous is much treasure…”  Proverbs 15:6


No comments:

Post a Comment